The Akshaya Patra Foundation’s mid-day meal program serves wholesome school lunches to over 1.8 million children, in 19,257 schools, across 12 states and 2 Union Territories in India every day.
Compassion and efficiency are at the heart of the foundation’s program. With a mission to provide unlimited food for education, Akshaya Patra is the largest mid day meal program in the world according to TIME Magazine.
- Akshaya Patra has demonstrated a clear track record of frugal innovation and efficiency in operations by scaling from 1,500 meals, to 1.8 million meals daily over a period of 20 years.
- With ISO standard kitchens, six sigma, Kaizen, block chain, IOT technologies and a keen eye on quality and hygiene, the cost per meal is only 0.09 cents. Only $20.00 feeds a child for an entire school year.
- We provide unlimited food, and second helpings are always available. Frequently, younger siblings of students come to school at mealtime or students pack leftovers in containers to take home.
- Akshaya Patra has 29 additional kitchens in the pipeline and is looking to expand into new locations in Jharkhand, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Jammu, Madhya Pradesh, Pondicherry, Goa and Bihar in the next 2 years.
- Our goal is to serve 5 millions meals every day by 2025.